Re: CPUTYPE in /etc/make.conf

On 11-Jun-2004 David O'Brien wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 03:02:38AM -0500, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>> Could someone please confirm for me whether or not I'm using the
>> best CPUTYPE for my processor?
>
> Don't use ANY CPUTYPE in /etc/make.conf.
> (I assume you're running in 64-bit mode since you're asking on this
> list and not another).

Yes, that's correct.  I'm running FreeBSD/amd64.

> There is no reason to specify one at all.  There is a single CPU core
> for AMD64 right now, so GCC knows exactly what core you have and
> what to do for it.

Interesting.  Will gcc also automatically take advantage of 3dnow, mmx,
sse2, etc?  I'm assuming the -m64 switch is superfluous as well?

>> Is athlon-xp the correct choice for this particular model?
>
> Only if running in 32-bit mode.

Ouch!  Now I gotta go back and rebuild my whole system.  Oh, that's
right, hardly takes any time at all anymore to do that.  :-)

Just want to take this opportunity to complement/praise those of you
whose work on amd64 for FreeBSD we're now enjoying the benefits of.
Superb job, guys!  Really, totally, absolutely awesome.  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@xxxxxxx> -- "In Unix veritas"