fbsd-amd64 desktop

Greets:

I've only run fbsd-amd64 on servers.  My favorite server ports all
work great but not sure about status of desktop related stuff.  For
example, I know OpenOffice has issues.  Any other gotchas I should know
about?

Also that there were some thread a while back that i386 was better
performer if you don't need the extra ram capability.  But that was
also in reference to 5.x.

What would y'all recommend for a desktop machine?

TIA--

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson