Re: (FreeBSD TCP) vs (Linux TCP)

on Thu, 7 Mar 2002 02:48:52 -0800 (PST), Russo Roberto said:

> I am working to evaluate performance of
> throughput between two PC connected between
> a Fore-ATM card adapter to a network:
> the netwotk is composed of a PVC of 4Mbps between
> three routers and I am just looking to use
> differente queuing discipline like FIFO-PQ-WFQ.
>
> I have configured the two PC with the same Operating
> Systems: a Linux (Red-Hat) and a FreeBSD v4.3 (Kame
> Patch) and I am using  NETPERF to make throughput
> test.

I would suggest that you run FreeBSD 4.5. There was a long-hidden socket bug
that under certain situation caused the socket mechanism to go idle for a
lengthy period of time and this caused performance issues. This socket
problem was fixed in the FreeBSD 4.5 release.

You can read all about the problem in the freebsd-hackers mailing list
under the topic of network or NFS performance bug in the early December 2001
time frame..

I cannot guarrentee that this is the very same thing that you are seeing,
but without any other detail, it sounds simular.

--mark tinguely.