Re: New version of ngATM

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Harti Brandt wrote:

:On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Vincent Jardin wrote:
:
:VJ>I already use the HARP stack for PPPoE and PPPoEoA whithout any modification
:VJ>of the HARP source code ;-)
:
:PPPoA?
:
:VJ>> With regard to drivers: I'm going to busdmaify the en driver. I think I
:VJ>> have an LE155 card somewher here, so I will tackle the IDT driver after
:VJ>> that. When this is done, we have all that is supported with HARP also in
:VJ>> ngATM.
:VJ>
:VJ>The LE155 board uses the IDT77211 SAR chipset, doesn't it ? Then it is
:VJ>already supported by the HARP stack, moreover this driver uses DMA. It
:VJ>already supports UBR and CBR.
:
:[/usr/src/sys/dev/idt] # grep bus_dma
:[/usr/src/sys/dev/idt] #
:
:
:idt.c:
:	buf = vtophys(idt->fixbuf);
:	/* Transmit Status Queue Base */
:	*(volatile u_long *)(idt->virt_baseaddr + REGTSQB) = buf;
:
:This will fail on sparc64: vtophys is not the correct way to get a DMA-able
:address (the sparc has an IOMMU). u_long is probably wrong and means
:uint32_t. On sparc u_long is 64 bit.
:
:VJ>According to me, the HARP stack is a very stable code, it has lot of
:VJ>features and their drivers are working very well for a long time. If we
:VJ>need to improve the ATM support of FreeBSD, one should be more focused
:VJ>on the current code in order to improve the HARP stack and to add some
:VJ>new drivers.
:
:My feeling is, that nobody is going to do serious work on HARP. We can
:keep it running as long as possible.
:

I think some of the work that needs to be done is making the HARP code MP
safe.  I think this is important if we're to keep HARP around.

Cheers,
Andrew

:VJ>FreeBSD has already 2 ATM stacks : a basic one (NATM) and a full
:VJ>featured one (HARP), why is a third ATM stack required ?
:
:I received requests and questions from people outside the FreeBSD
:developers community for this ATM stuff. There is certainly interest in
:this. This will attract new users to the system. Forget about NATM
:(although I still find it to be a clever hack).
:
:harti
:--
:harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private