Re: making test(1)'s -nt/-ot ignore nanosecond fractions

Hello,

             <

> ffs uses vfs_timestamp() which gives a timestamp with the precision
> specified by vfs.timestamp_precision.  The default is 0 (TSP_SEC),
> which means that timestamps on files are normally in seconds with
> nanoseconds part 0.  This can be changed easily using sysctl, but
> changing the precision to the highest (nanoseconds) gives the bugs
> being discussed.  Changing it to microseconds precision is safer,
> since utimes(2) (but not utime(2) supports this precision.
>
> The only other way to get ffs timestamps with a nonzero nanseconds
> part is to use utimes(), but this gives microseconds precision which
> utimes() can copy later.

Hm, I never changed vfs.timestamp_precision to anything other than the
default (nor even knew of it), but I acutually observed some files
having ...032 and ...256 nanoseconds on an NFS exported FFS on
4-STABLE.  I'm not sure if the files were created directly on FFS or
via NFS.

Does that mean there could be a bug somewhere around nanotime() calls?

--

--
                     /
                    /__  __            Akinori.org / MUSHA.org

"It seems to me as we make our own few circles 'round the sun
          We get it backwards and our seven years go by like one"