Re: Automatic bluetooth device initialization

hi maksim,
thanks for the quick answer

> fine. if you could please tell us a little bit more and explain what is
> wrong with the current way of doing things in linux and/or freebsd.

don't get me wrong, there isn't anything wrong with the current state
of bluetooth configuration utilities. If you've spent some time
reading the freebsd handbook or some unofficial bluez tutorials and
you're accustomed to the command line (like most of the people on this
list, I assume) then you're just set..
..but if you take into account the regular desktop user (like how
linux and freebsd are trying to do right now) you see the need for
something more intuitive and immediate than the 'current way of doing
things', this basically involves some sort of user interface, at the
very least.
Even on this mailing list, little time ago, there was a request about
porting the excellent kde bluetooth framework to freebsd, but, as you
noted, in it's current form kdebluetooth has very deep roots in bluez,
and it also has deep roots in KDE, so even adapting to another desktop
manager would be difficult.
To solve such (not uncommon) problems, the dbus system[¹] is being
developed, dbus is getting very popular (maybe too much) and it
provides a simple and secure messaging system to let different
programs talk to one another, in our example, let one program be the
bluetooth daemon, it provides a well-known interface and hides
platform-specific implementation details, on the other side we have
the other programs, which are just frontends (with a Qt/Gtk/textual
interface, it doesn't matter) and can run on every operating system
where the aforementioned interface is available, I think something
like this wouldn't hurt to any "desktop-unix" operating system.

[¹] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fdbus

> freebsd uses different approach. basically there is a devctl(4) driver
> and devd(8) daemon. whenever a device is added to or removed from the
> device tree, devd(8) will execute actions specified in its configuration
> file.
I'm looking at them right now, thanks again.

regards,
Paul