Re: Bluetooth Device Failing to Initialize

Hello,

I am have a problem with a linksys usbbt100 bluetooth
dongle.

lets see...

I am running
6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Sat Jan  7 08:48:40 CST
2006

ok

From dmesg I get this

ubt0: vendor 0x0a12 product 0x0001, rev 1.10/5.25, addr 2
ubt0: vendor 0x0a12 product 0x0001, rev 1.10/5.25, addr 2
ubt0: Interface 0 endpoints: interrupt=0x81, bulk-in=0x82,
bulk-out=0x2
ubt0: Interface 1 (alt.config 5) endpoints: isoc-in=0x83,
isoc-out=0x3;
wMaxPacketSize=49; nframes=6, buffer size=294

looks fine to me

I have setup the /etc/rc.bluetooth file as described in the
handbook, and am using the ng_ubt module that is said to be
the correct one.

When i run /etc/rc.bluetooth start ubt0
I get

bash-2.05b# /etc/rc.bluetooth start ubt0
BD_ADDR: 00:0c:41:e2:01:84
Features: 0xff 0xff 0xf 00 00 00 00 00
<3-Slot> <5-Slot> <Encryption> <Slot offset>
<Timing accuracy> <Switch> <Hold mode> <Sniff mode>
<Park mode> <RSSI> <Channel quality> <SCO link>
<HV2 packets> <HV3 packets> <u-law log> <A-law log>
<CVSD>
<Paging scheme> <Power control> <Transparent SCO data>
Max. ACL packet size: 192 bytes
Number of ACL packets: 8
Max. SCO packet size: 64 bytes
Number of SCO packets: 8

everything above looks fine

Could not execute command "initialize". Device not
configured

this is *very* strange.

1) did you check your /var/log/messages to see if device has detached?

2) can you please run as root the following commands

# ngctl types

# ngctl li

# ngctl status ubt0:

# ngctl status ubt0hci:

after you have executed "rc.bluetooth start ubt0" and got the error.

if i run hccontrol -n ubt0hci initialize
i get

bash-2.05b# hccontrol -n ubt0hci initialize
Could not execute command "initialize". Device not
configured

please run the commands above and send me the output.

I am running hcidump at the same time, which doesnt seem to
see the initialize command;

that is fine. "initialize" is an internal (to bluetooth stack) command. it only flips a bit inside hci node and tells it that initialization sequence was performed. you wont see "initialize" command in the hci dumps.

[...]

The device looks like it is ok, but something freaky is not
allowing it to initialize properly and subsequent inquiry commands just time out. I should also point out that I have had the dongle working in Windows Land.

i suspect that device is gone (detached).

Would this failure to initialize be preventing me from
successfuly inquiring another device?

yes, because if i'm right and device is indeed gone then you cant do anything.

thanks,
max