Re: Removing the freebsd-config list

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:31:05PM +0100, Paul Robinson wrote:
> Quoting Kris Kennaway <kris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Yes, because people are mistakenly asking support questions that are
> > going unanswered.
>
> I could be a pedant and point out that happens in questions@ as well. :-)

But for entirely different reasons.

> > > What is the gain in it's removal?
> >
> > They'll hopefully keep looking at the list of mailing lists and figure
> > out that questions@ is where they should send it.
>
> Perhaps we just need a better description of the list and make it clearer
> where support queries go. We should not be deleting a list we know we
> probably need, but instead be re-asserting its true purpose.

Nice idea but it probably doesn't work. Unless you expect that a large volume
of mail is going to arrive here (which I really doubt).

> > That's what the list is ostensibly for, but the users are seeing
> > "freebsd-config" and thinking something different.  If there's still
> > interest in the subject, the mailing list should at least be renamed
> > to something more obviously not about technical support :)
>
> I can't think of a better name. I tell you what, I'll start answering
> support queries with a boilerplate "go to -questions@" response, let's give
> it a couple of months and see where it goes.

That's what has happened in the last year or so -- check the archives.

I'm with Kris, removing this list will do more good for newbies.
freebsd-config-mgmt@ or something like that sounds far less likely to attract
generic support questions.

--Stijn

--
"Well," Brahma said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is
no wiser, but an intelligent man requires only two thousand five