Re: Still doesn't work

2005/12/23, Franco Bruno Borghesi <fborghesi@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi again. I'm still having problems with eclipse + jdk15 on amd64. Eclipse
> crashes continuously and the only thing that seems to make it work (at least
> for a couple of hours) is erasing the .metadata directory (and loosing all
> the configuration settings).
>
> Panagiotis said it was a gc problem, and suggested me to look here<http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc5.0/gc_tuning_5.html>for a switch that makes java
> work.I tried different switches, some from that page and some I found
> googling (not many), but nothing seems to work.
>
> The fact that only Panagiotis answered my questions makes me think that
> none of you have experienced this kind of problem, although Panagiotis said
> it was a common problem (is it?).
>
> So, my question is: has anyone experienced this problem? how do you deal
> with it? have you found any switch to make java work?
> I'm thinking maybe I shoud go back and use freebsd 32 on my amd64... is
> this what you people do?
>
> Thanks... and merry Christmas to all of you :-)

Googling around I've found this jdk bug
5060628<http://http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=5060628>(
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=5060628).

I don't know if the problem they describe there is the same problem that
Panagiotis was talking about, and I also ignore if it is actually my
problem, but I decided to give a try to the proposed fixes.

Running eclipse with "-vmargs -Djava.compiler=" seems to solve the
problem.Eclipse runs slower but stable, no hangs at all (at least for the
last couple of days).

The other proposed solution was to create a file called ".hotspot_compiler"
with the following contents:
exclude  org/eclipse/jdt/internal/compiler/parser/Scanner
optimizedCurrentTokenSource3
exclude org/eclipse/jdt/internal/core/util/CommentRecorderScanner
recordComment

This is said to be a better solution, but it didn't work for me. It's not
clear to me where I should create the file, so I tryed with
/usr/local/eclipse/.hotspot_compiler, ~/.hotspot_compiler and
~/.eclipse/.hotspot_compiler.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.
Cheers.