battery less than 10 minutes kills X

Hello
I recently upgraded my thinkpad R32 from 5.4 to 6.0 (new hard drive for
the new OS).  I compiled my kernel with ACPI for power management, which
works pretty well for most things.  I even got the battery monitor in KDE
working correctly, which makes me somewhat proud of myself :)

However, my problem is this: when the battery gets to less than 10 minutes
run time remaining, X is killed without warning.  I'll get a little popup
window next to the battery telling me that I have that much battery
remaining, and then before I can plug in all my windows are going away and
next thing I know I'm back at the console.

I don't remember having had this problem in 5.4.  I thought 5.4 would let
me damn near run the system battery down to nothing in X.  I'm not sure if
what I'm seeing is a setting from BSD, X, or KDE?  I don't see anything
useful reported in /var/log/messges, either.

I did check my power settings in KDE, and I have it configured to do
nothing for low battery.  So I don't think its there...

thanks,

Lee