Adding newbus abstraction to parallel port devices

Hi all,

last time I looked, the parallel port chipset driver (isa/ppc) uses
microsequences to handle the hardware control/data ports for the
parallel port.  For anyone who is unfamiliar with these, they are macros
built from I/O port bitmasks to handle the necessary hardware
control to run the parallel port.

The committer that wrote the parallel port driver said he used
microsequences because the driver was designed/implemented before
newbus.

Since the purpose of the microsequences was (a) hardware abstraction and
(b) to increase speed, how could this be re-written to use newbus
instead without a performance loss?

jm
--
My other computer is your windows box.