[no subject]

We need to start our X-sessions by chooser - so I start first xdm
in /etc/rc.local, then I start X-server permanently after starting xdm
in /etc/rc.local.
When starting the Xserver by xdm/Xservers, X resets lot of times itself
(on the faulty machine) and then offers a chooser - and all virtual
terminals are accessible as described (Alt-Ctrl-Fxx). It seems to make
difference how xdm and X are started. I never had success in starting xdm
via an entry in /etc/ttys and starting X via xdm/Xservers.

The idea of our configuration is keeping the local machine accessible by
X over chooser - so I need a xdm and X server.

But this is actualy not the severe problem. It seems that especially this machine
or FreeBSD in general has problems, with respect to other systems I focus the
problem of the combination X,FBSD, AMD K7 and ASUS A7V with ATA devices. Another
system without X and ATA (SCSI/160 instead) works great.

:>Have you changed /etc/ttys?  Can you post your /etc/ttys?
:>X does not attach to the highest-numbered virtual console; it attaches
:>to the first one that is allocated to it, that is, the first one that
:>was free at the time X was started.  If you have no getty processes
:>running for virtual consoles (if you have disabled them in /etc/ttys,
:>or if your /usr/libexec/getty fails to start), and xdm is configured
:>to run on the first virtual console, then the described behavior
:>would be normal.
:>
:>G'luck,
:>Peter
:>
:>--
:>What would this sentence be like if it weren't self-referential?
:>