problem upgrading to python-2.4.2 using port

Howdy.  If this is the wrong place to bring this up please let me know and I
will slink away in shame to either the ports or questions list (was not sure
from the list description whether this is the right spot for this question).

I am currently having problems upgrading to Python 2.4.2 from 2.4.1 on a box I
look after and so far have not been able to find anyone else suffering the
same fate (searching via the list archives, Google, Usenet, etc.).

Here's what happens when I try to upgrade Python:

----------
===>  Patching for python-2.4.2
/usr/bin/sed -i.bak -e
's,/usr/doc/python-docs-,/usr/local/share/doc/python,g'  /usr/ports/lang/python/work/Python-2.4.1/Lib/pydoc.py
/usr/bin/sed -i.bak -e  's|^\( *prefixes = .*\)\]$|\1, "/usr/X11R6"]|
g'  /usr/ports/lang/python/work/Python-2.4.1/Lib/site.py
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for python-2.4.2
Ignoring previously applied (or reversed) patch.
1 out of 1 hunks ignored--saving rejects to Modules/socketmodule.c.rej
=> Patch patch-Modules::socketmodule.c failed to apply cleanly.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/python.
-----------

I recently upgraded FreeBSD itself to 5.4-STABLE.

Unfortunately I foolishly ran "make --deinstall" in an attempt to clear out
whatever was presumably left around from an earlier install that was causing
the problem which left me in a state where I had no python at all (not good
when you need to run Mailman). I have now temporarily gone with a package
install since I need to be running while I sort this issue out.

Since it looks like something is FUBAR though and I would rather use the port
version, I am hoping someone here can help me nail down the source of the
failed patch above.

Any suggestions other than inserting something internally appreciated and
please let me know if you need more details.

Cheers

--
---> (culture) http://industrial.org : (label)  http://deterrent.net
---> (community) http://ampfea.org : (hire me) http://codegrunt.com