Aureal Kernel Sound Drivers

Hello all,

I am the not-quite-proud owner of a Dell system that comes with an aureal sound card inside of it. In any event, I found the aureal-kmod kernel module and have gotten it to work on my machine (following directions on http://www.matey.org/au88x0/). In the process of doing this I have found that in the directory

/usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pci

there are the files

au88x0.[ch]
aureal.[ch]

When I tried getting sound to work prior to aureal-kmod, it did not figure out about my card. What is the purpose of these files and does 6.0-STABLE have native support for these class of cards? Thank you all for your information.

-Anthony