Attention: Giorgos Keramidas (Was: CVS Import Permissions)

> n 2006-01-30 15:52, david bryce <davidbryce at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am having some confusion regarding the way CVS works with permissions
> > under unix when importing a new project. Currently, when I import a
> > project, I get this sort of permissions on the project directory:
> >
> > drwxr-x---  2 jim   cvs   512 Jan 27 12:31 test_proj
> >
> > Notice that the group (cvs) is not granted write access. Is this the
> > way it's supposed to work?
>
> That depends on what your `umask' currently is.
>
> > Do I have to use chmod to grant write access to the group every time I
> > do an import?
>
> No.  The correct way to fix this is to set CVSUMASK in your shell
> environment, and then import the files :)

Giorgos,

Thanks very much for replying! I wasn't aware of this
environment variable (even though I spent quite a while on
this problem). Using CVSUMASK certainly works when working
on the server machine!

However, I'm not sure what to do in client/server
situations. The CVS manual states:

"Note that using the client/server CVS (see section Remote
repositories), there is no good way to set CVSUMASK; the
setting on the client machine has no effect."

We are currently using a pserver installation, with
developers using windows machines. We need a way to achieve
the same effect with a user on a windows machine doing an
import. Do you have any idea how this can be done? Thank
you!

Regards,

DB
--