Re: Attention: Garrett Cooper (Was: SSH with Public Key Authentication)

on 02-02-2006, david bryce wrote:
> > > Daniel,
> > >
> > > Thank you for taking the time to reply.
> > >
> > > We are currently using pageant to manage the private key. However,
> > > the keys we are using are generated with puttygen (not from the
> > > server). The public key was then copied to the authorized_keys
> > > file on the server. Would you recommend generating the keys on
> > > the server? Do you have an idea where are some instructions
> > > about how to generate the keys on the server? Thanks!
> >
> > 	Can you login using any key in the authorized_keys file? Also,
> > what's the umask for authorized keys (ls -l .ssh/authorized_keys)?
> > -Garrett
>
> Thanks for replying, Garrett!
>
> There is only one key in the authorized_keys file (the one I'm
> trying to use), and I cannot login with it. The umask is:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  cvs  601 Feb  1 16:08 authorized_keys
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  cvs  601 Feb  2 10:27 authorized_keys2
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  cvs   13 Feb  1 17:10 known_hosts
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
>
> DB
> --
>   david bryce
>   davidbryce@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> --

What's the permissions for the .ssh directory.  I had problems in the
past if it's not 700.  There was an entry in /var/log/messages or its
equivalent, stating as such.

This would come up on new systems, because I usually had to create the
.ssh directory and the umask would cause it to have 755.

--
Clayton Scott Kern
ckern1@xxxxxxxxxxxx            The software stated it required