Re: NVidia GeForce 6600 problems

Alejandro Pulver wrote:

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:06:21 -0300
Alejandro Pulver <alejandro@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I have recently bought a GeForce 6600 video card, and sometimes (not
very often) I experience the following problem:

A little after starting X11 (for example when I start downloading
e-mails), the screen freezes a few seconds, after that the screen
looks like if widgets (buttons, text, etc.) aren't drawn, and the
white background of Sylpheed-Claws covers the screen. Then I am
forced to switch to the 1st console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), which takes around
30 seconds, and then kill X11.

I have FreeBSD 5.4 release, Xorg 6.8.2 and nvidia-driver 1.0.8178.
I have a 6600 with FreeBSD 5.4 XOrg 6.8.2 but still nvidia-driver-1.0.7676_1. I have an occasional problem where the whole screen is shifted left on startup, but exiting and restarting X fixes it. You could try downgrading to an older nvidia-driver and see if it helps. Portdowngrade should do that, but I've never used it myself.

You may have more luck if you try the nvidia support forum. Definitely slower than this mailing list but someone from nvidia was reading it, last time I used it.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

--Alex