Re: Playing streaming music

Mark Kane wrote:
Andreas Rudisch wrote:
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 22:12:41 +0100, JD Arnold <jdarnold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Now that I have my sound card working, I was wondering if there is a
port to play streaming music from my favorite college radio station?
The live streams from http://www.wzbc.org send me "PLS" files, which
I understand to be WinAmp "playlist" files.  Is there a FreeBSD app
that can play this streaming format?

I installed XMMS, but I'm not really sure if there is a plugin for
these files.
PLS-files are usually only normal text files containing a playlist of
music files or URLs to media streams. All you need to do is open the
PLS-file and write down the URL. mplayer, vlc or xmms should all be able
to play the music stream.

Andreas

If you want to use pls files with XMMS, download them first to a
directory with fetch/wget or your browser, then in the lower left corner
of XMMS, click the "+ FILE" button and browse to the pls file.
Unfortunately with XMMS you can't just put the pls file into "Add URL"
like in Winamp.

Thanks, this seems to be opening up the stream in XMMS (I'm getting the info
for the radio station), but I'm not getting any sound.  I get sound just fine
if I play an audio CD using xmms. Any ideas why sound wouldn't come out when
playing streaming audio?

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog:

UNIX is user-friendly. It's just a bit picky about who its friends are.