Running custom command via Nagios

I have the Nagios port installed on my FreeBSD 5.4 server and trying to
use a custom command. I can run from the command line with no problem,
but when Nagios is configured to use the command, which is a sendmail
script, I get this error in /var/log/messages:

Feb  2 16:39:03 esmtp kernel: pid 40443 (nagios), uid 2004: exited on
signal 10

I am trying a sendmail script to allow me to send messages via an
off-the-box SMTP server while monitoring Amavisd-new. So if Amavis does
go down, I'll still get the message. I even made a simple little shell
script that writes to a file and that doesn't work either.

How can I run this script in the same context as Nagios to test from the
commandline?

--
Robert