Re: novice needs help with "wdc1 not found at 0x170"

> DOS recognizes my C: and D: disks fine.
>
> The C: disk contains DOS stuff, the D: disk is newly formatted but
> contains no files.  I'd like to put all FreeBSD stuff on the D: disk.
>
> When I try to use the FreeBSD boot disk I get:
>
>            [...]
>            wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
>            wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM LP240A GM240A01X>
>            wd0: 234 MB (479349 total sec), 723 cyl, 13 head, 51 sec,
>              bytes/sec 512
>            wdc0: unit 1 (wd1), <QUANTUM MAVERICK 540A>
>            wd1: 516MB (1057392 total sec), 1049 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec,
>              bytes/sec 512
>            wdc1 not found at 0x170

I think there is nothing wrong. FreeBSD finds both of your hard disks. One is
234MB and the other 516MB.

wdc1 is not any hard disk; instead, it is hard disk controller. I think
you have only one IDE card so you have no problems.

> I'm not sure if there is something that I need to reset in the DOS
> system setup program or something special I need to do since the
> D: disk has over 1024 cylinders.  Clues suitable for boneheads
> would be appreciated...feeling pretty frustrated and intimidated
> about all this.

FreeBSD bypasses BIOS and handles 1049 cylinders with no problems. I have
my FreeBSD on a Quantum Maveric 540A too.

However, one thing you should pay attention : the DSAP jumper on the 540A,
and/or the other jumper on the other one. I connected both hard disks with
these jumpers connected. Strangely enough, under DOS everything seems to
be fine no matter how I connect these two jumpers. But under FreeBSD,
I must connect them right otherwise either I fail to fdisk or disk time-
out occurs. (I think they are master/slave jumpers ?) If you still fail
to identify 2nd hard during installation, you may want to try another
IDE controller card. The old IDE controller cards may have problems when
connecting 2 hard disks.

That's my experience. Your controller is identified correctly. I have one
monterboard on which FreeBSD CANNOT find wdc0 and wdc1, which I still fail
to make it work.

--
Yen-Wei Liu (ywliu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)