ld question

I'm having this problem which I can't make sense of.  When I try to
link an object file with one of the shared libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib
or in /usr/local/lib I get an error from ld saying, for example,
-lX11: no match
I'm running the command ld -A file.o -llibrary
where library is something in those two directories.  It seems
to link properly with the libraries in /usr/lib, but I don't understand
this because ldconfig -r reports all the libraries.
can anyone help?

these libraries all link properly when I tell gcc to link them for me
like gcc -o file file.o -lX11 but I'm trying to build a compiler which
will call ld without gcc and I'm having trouble.

-josh