Re: Floppy Installation

> At the mirror site: ftp5.FreeBSD.ORG in the
> directory /pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE/, there are 2 directories,
>
> commerce/ and X86312/ the files in these directories are not set up like
>
> the files that are in the main bin/ directory.

All the files in the dists directory are basically "tarballs", ie
directory trees that have been stored in a single archive file and
then compressed. Most of them have been split into smaller files to
facilitate copying them to a floppy, but the ones you mention have not
(no, I don't know why).

> How can I make floppy
>
> images from these 2 directories that will work during the install?

If you have access to a Unix box, you can use the 'split' command to
split them up yourself. However, if you're online during the
installation, the install program will pull them down for you over
FTP. If not - well, they're not system-critical, so you can always FTP
them down yourself afterwards and install them by hand.

> The
>
> compat1x/ , compat20/ , and  xperimnt/ directories at the same mirror
>
> site are set up in a similar way. Thanks!!!

I don't know of a 'split' command for DOS/Windows, but I'd be
surprised if there wasn't one on an archive somewhere. Alternatively,
it's not too hard to write your own in something like C or Turbo
Pascal, if you know enough to be able to handle files.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx