Re: bootvinum and multiple pc-partitions

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 02:26:34PM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> I must confess to being a bit baffled.  You seem to be confused on a
> number of points.  Certainly there's never any reason to put more than
> one Vinum volume on a physical disk.

Are you asking where the second hard-drive is attached to the same
cable? Yes, one is the master, other is slave. I guess this could
be problem if the master is dead. But they are still two separate
harddisks.

I was following the article
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/vinum/index.html

After a search, I found some other articles
http://org.netbase.org/vinum-mirrored.html. May be I will try to
follow this one.

Here is a summary of what I was trying to do:-

I began a normal FreeBSD install with a single 120G disk. I needed the
following partitions

/	  1G
swap	  6G  (may be a bit too much!)
/var	  3G
/var/log  1G
/var/tmp  1G
/tmp	  3G
/usr	  3G
/usr/home 3G
/fs1	  2G
/fs2	  20G
/fs3	  40G
/fs4	  31G

Since I don't seem to be able to create more than 7 or so FreeBSD
fs partitions per PC-partition, I split the PC-partition into two.
That's why I have ad0s1 & ad0s2.

Now I need the whole disk mirrored on the second 120G disk.
I may not want to mirror /fs4, that's all.

> create.ThruBank
> create.YouCrazy

There are default files (I didn't care to change the default names)
generated by bootvinum.

> You shouldn't be specifying explicit drive offsets.  It's also not a
> good idea to specify names for pleses or subdisks.  In addition,
> you've detected a bug in the Vinum parser: you can't have / characters
> in object names.
[snip]

> You're creating a lot of unattached plexes here.  Why?

I just ran the script. So please ignore these.