Re: fxp0 device - Intel NIC

David Wolfskill wrote:

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:56:23 +0000
From: redjupiter <redjupiter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Changing the MAC was the easiest and fastest for me.  Re-registering a nic
with my ISP brings chills down my back.  It's always faster for you to
correct a mispelled MAC address in the file rather than talking to a
support drone who wants you to boot into windows.

But wouldn't I have conflicts with the realtek NIC? since both must be on the same machine which is my gateway.

Unless you have an unusual (i.e., "pathological") network topology, no.

The requirement is not "unique MAC address per NIC per host," but unique
MAC addres per NIC per network (and you *do* have those NICs on
different networks, right?).

Note that until fairly recently, the MAC addresses reported by every NIC
on a Sun machine was the MAC address of the built-in NIC.

Cheers,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
HI Again,

Sorry, was dragged out to continue christmas shopping by the wife :-)

OK, I guess I can do that. My understanding was that each NIC has its own unique MAC address and not two cards may have the same address. so what you are saying now is that it's ok as long as they are on different networks. I never understood it that way.

I also understood that the MAC address is hard wired, i.e builtin in the card. I know I sound confused, I don't just want to do it but I want to understand it as well. I know some cards on soem embedded systems have/must have the last three digits to be unique and so the programmer is allowed to assign his own first three digits.

Sorry to dwell on this but I really want to understand it.

thanks.