Re: fxp0 device - Intel NIC

* Mike Hogsett (hogsett@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > The MAC address must be unique to the network
>
> Must be unique on the LAN segment, but not necessaryily across the
> enterprise (as long as your switch infrastructure doesn't see the same MAC
> in two places).  This can be a problem on older Sun hardware with multiple
> network cards, since the Suns seemed to set all the cards on the host to
> the same MAC address (that of the primary card).

True. The MAC adress on the SparcStations I own don't have the hardware
address stored on the NIC itself. Kinda funny when you first notice it.
Hey, that le0 and that hme0 have the same MAC address! :)

Downside is when your NVRAM gets corruped though, all nics default to
FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. It's fixable, but having everything set to broadcast
might give an unsuspecting sysadmin some headaches :)

Cheers,
Emiel
--
In 1869 the waffle iron was invented for people who had wrinkled
waffles.