Re: Writing to ISO-images mounted as vnodes?

Edwin Groothuis wrote:

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 10:13:10PM +0100, dalroi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>While I was thinking how to make a bootable DOS-CD (the floppies for
>sale now just aren't as reliable as they used to be), I thought of the
>following strategy:
>
> - copy the ISO-image of my Win98 install-CD (AFAIK that's legal if you
>   own the CD).
> - configure the image as a vnode (vnconfig).
> - mount the vnode (mount_cd9660).
> - remove the files that are not needed (the ones that install Win98)
>   from the mounted vnode; just leaving a DOS boot-CD with just a little
>   more useful utilities than would fit on a floppy...
>
>Unfortunately, mounting the vnode as cd9660 mounts it read-only, and
>I couldn't find a way to mount it "rw" (-o rw doesn't seem to help).

I was thinking about something similair a couple of weeks ago, to
make it easy for me to arrange files on a cdrom ISO image. Unfortunatly
the write-routines for the cd9660 driver are non-existent.

Did sound nice, just create a 650Mb file, mount it, copy some files
into it, unmount it and ready to burn.

Edwin

cd9660 isn't really meant to be a randomly-writable filesystem. I'm sure there
implementations out there that let you write to existing filesystems, but my
guess is that they are limited by the nature of cd9660.

That said, it's relatively easy to make a DOS-boot cd. Boot up Win98, go to the Add/Remove control panel, adn click around until you get to the part where it
allows you to create an 'Emergency Recovery floppy' or some such.  Have it
generate that floppy, edit the contents of the floppy to suit your taste, then dd the floppy to image file. Take that image file and run it through mkisofs
to generate an iso9660 image (you'll want to look up the options for making
an 'El Torito' bootable image), then burn the image. Not quite as graceful as
what you're looking for, but it gets the job done.

Scott