Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 17:22:13 -0400
Subject: Access to Community Source....

The FOREThought Partners Program has been made obsolete by the Community
Source Program.

The history of this is:

*	Many years ago, FORE was trying to get application vendors to create
unique, ATM-based applications so that they could sell more ATM networking,
particularly to the desktop;
*	To promote this, they signed up as many people as possible as
'FOREThought Partners"
*	In most cases, this was not managed nor did it do very well.  This
is because it was approached, by many, as a technical-only situation and not
a good business approach
*	FORE/Marconi continued to support the program over the past 2-3
years for current members
*	However, we have not accepted/renewed applications to this program

The challenge was to create an easy-to-use program that would require a
minimum of support.  This would let Marconi get benefits from what was out
there, yet not have to invest in something which did not have a large market
share.  Also, there was a movement to 'open source licensing'.

So, to meet the needs of:

*	Providing a way to get detailed technical support
*	Allowing users access to source code
*	Letting users create works based on Marconi source

The Community Source program was created.

This is available to the Community Source Web (CSW) at the link:

 www.marconi.com-->Login-->CSWLogin

http://www.marconi.com/html/login/cswlogin.htm

Anybody may sign up for Community Source.  The license is a 'click through'
process.

Once a user joins Community Source, they may take Marconi's base drivers -
Solaris reference - and modify them.  We plan to put other drivers out there
as soon as they are 'cleaned' and moved into what we call "Common Driver
Architecture".  If plans continue, we should have a LINUX driver late this
year and an NT driver early next year followed by 9x.

Under the terms of Community Source, users may:

*	Take Marconi source code
*	Modify it to their own purposes
*	Distribute *BINARY* or *OBJECT of Marconi or their own code
*	Return copies of modified code to the Marconi library to share with
others
*	(Or, choose not to return the source code to the community, but they
may NOT distribute it!)

We have set up a Bulletin Board System (BBS) for questions in this area.

Hope this helps.

--jake