Re: which JDK to use?

Hi Niall,

   I have been doing a fair amount Java server development (i.e. not GUI)
on FBSD...

>I'm just wondering which JDK people are using?  As far as I am aware I
>have four choices:
>
> - use the 1.1.3 port from
>
>   http://www.csi.uottawa.ca/~kwhite/jdkbinaries/jdk1.1-FreeBSD.html

I have been meaning to try this, but ...

> - use the Linux port in emulation mode

This has been working so well for me that I have never found the time
to try the native port.  So far, the only problem I had was a JDBC
driver that didn't work.

I wouldn't let the warning about JDB not working in the native
port deter you; JDB has proven so slow that its not worth the
trouble on every platform I have tried it on.

> - use Kaffe

I have found Kaffe is not yet solid enough for doing
a lot of development.  It looks promissing though,
it should get there.

Mark