RE: which JDK to use?

>Does anyone have any comments as to which of these is the best choice?

> - use the 1.0.2 port (this isn't really an option for me)

Me, neither...too much good stuff in java 1.1.

> - use the 1.1 port from
>   http://www.csi.uottawa.ca/~kwhite/jdkbinaries/jdk1.1-FreeBSD.html

I've been using the kwhite version so far without trouble; in particular,
it's running Sun's Java Web Server without the problems that I had with the
"blackdown" Linux version.  A better choice of URL for the kwhite version
is http://www.csi.uottawa.ca/~kwhite/javaport.html because it lists
important license agreements (containing important access codes) and
patches for this version.  Also, be sure to follow the installation
instructions carefully! I'm running 2.2-stable, and this version was
bombing consistently for me until I followed the directions more carefully
and installed it correctly.

> - use the Linux port in emulation mode

I was never able to get the "blackdown" Linux port to run Java Web Server
reliably -- it would seem to come up, but then it would not reply to
queries reliably, as if there were some sort of network I/O problem.
 Actually, it had precisely the same problem running under Linux.

> - use Kaffe

I haven't tried JWS under Kaffe yet; I'd be interested myself to hear of
people running real-world biggish programs with kaffe -- it certainly seems
to be darn fast.