Re: misc/92557: Contrary to 6.0 release notes, snd_csa does not support suspend/report.

The following reply was made to PR kern/92557; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Sheyenne York <zweideutig@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: misc/92557: Contrary to 6.0 release notes, snd_csa does not support suspend/report.
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:47:48 +0300

 On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 05:49:21PM +0000, Sheyenne York wrote:
 S> FreeBSD ThinkpadT22.lan 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov  3 09:36:13 UTC 2005     root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
 S> The FreeBSD 6.0 release notes (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.0R/relnotes-i386.html) state "The snd_csa(4) driver now supports suspend and resume operation." However, on my Thinkpad T22, (with ACPI disabled), after a suspend/resume, sound no longer functions at all (until a reboot.) I have a Crystal Semiconductor 4280 sound chip. I had the same probem with Linux, but the problem could be gone around by reloading the module for my sound. kldunload snd_csa and kldload snd_csa don't work (it complains t he device is busy.) Any possible workarounds would be welcome.
 S> >How-To-Repeat:
 S> Install FreeBSD 6.0 on a Thinkpad T22, load snd_csa, APM suspend/resume the laptop, note that sound no longer functions.

 This was me, who committed the change. Suspend/resume cycle works perfectly
 on my Thinkpad T20, which is also running APM (not ACPI). Unfortunately, I
 don't have T22.

 Let's compare our hardware:

 csa0@pci0:5:0:  class=0x040100 card=0x01531014 chip=0x60031013 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
     vendor   = 'Cirrus Logic'
     device   = 'Crystal CS4610/14/22/24/30 SoundFusion PCI Audio Accelerator'
     class    = multimedia
     subclass = audio

 The fact that you can't unload module is strange, too. May be some process
 keeps sound device open? Can you check this with fstat?

 Have you tried the latest Linux kernel on your laptop? According to comments
 Linux driver has a man from Crystal Semiconductor among its authors. You
 can burn Knoppix CD and check whether latest Linux can suspend and resume
 this chip correctly.

 --
 Totus tuus, Glebius.
 GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE