Re: Device polling heavy traffic

Hello,

Sorry for omitting the esential details about my system.

You can find my dmesg at:

http://pastebin.com/479977

I'm running:
FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p1

Here is my kernel configuration:

http://pastebin.com/479981

I wasn't there when the panic happened, I just noticed the load average was increasing (with polling disabled); and it kept increasing until the machine become unresponsive. After 1-2 minutes I observed it had rebooted itself.

Now I have polling enabled on it, I have kernel.idle.poll set and a latency of 1-5 ms inside the local network. But on the 3 links I have spoken of, altough they are not full I have between 1-5 ms and 20-30 ms (when the number of packets passive through the machine increases).

Mike Jakubik wrote:

Mihai Tanasescu wrote:

The problem:
If I ping this machine or anything that is routed through it I get response times of 10-15-30 ms and once in 30 seconds a packet is lost.

If I disable kernel.polling.enable then I get response times of 1-2-3 ms but I also get a lot of interrupts and a kernel panic after about 20 min.

You should not be getting a panic, unless you have bad hardware. Can you provide more details of the panic? Also, provide the version of freebsd, any custom kernel configuration, and attach output of dmesg.