Re: Proper FreeBSD installation practices

I looked at the sysinstall and pkg_add man files and noticed that at least in pkg_add it was looking for updates at ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/ Latest/. I made my way over to that address and noticed indeed bind9-9.3.1 was the newest available, then after some browsing I found ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/dns/ where the was a bind9-9.3.2.

So assumed that both pkg_add and sysinstall were looking up the same location.

I tried to tell sysinstall to search a different location:
sysinstall _ftpPath=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6- stable/dns/ mediaSetFTP configPackages

But it just ignored my input and used the same ftp address as it had before.

However with pkg_add I had a little further, after setting the environment variable PACKAGEROOT to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/dns/ I was able to type, pkg_add -r bind9-9.3.2, and successfully install. Or at least so I thought.

To make sure, I went to /var/db/pkg and saw bind9-9.3.2 listed.

Unfortunately when I tried named -v, it replied: version 9.3.1........what? How?

By now now I am terrible confused.

What is the difference between
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/ Latest/
and
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable

I thought release was the newest version of stable, and therefore these two directories should point to the same info. Or at least, will they merge some time in the future?

Also, I believe I actually installed bind9-9.3.2, if so where is it? If not, how can I?

There must be some logical aspect of FreeBSD that I do not understand, because installing a package or a port has never been so hard.

Having to set environment variables every time I want to get the newest version of a program should not be the standard way to operate, I am sure it isn't.

Thanks.