Re: Proper FreeBSD installation practices

Alvaro J. Gurdián wrote:

I looked at the sysinstall and pkg_add man files and noticed
that at  least in pkg_add it was looking for updates at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/ Latest/.
I made my way over to that address and noticed indeed  bind9-9.3.1
was the newest available, then after some browsing I found ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/dns/ where the was a bind9-9.3.2.

So assumed that both pkg_add and sysinstall were looking up
the same  location.

I tried to tell sysinstall to search a different location:
sysinstall _ftpPath=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6- stable/dns/ mediaSetFTP configPackages

But it just ignored my input and used the same ftp address as it had before.

However with pkg_add I had a little further, after setting the environment variable PACKAGEROOT to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/dns/ I was able to type, pkg_add -r bind9-9.3.2, and successfully install. Or at least so I thought.

To make sure, I went to /var/db/pkg and saw bind9-9.3.2 listed.

Unfortunately when I tried named -v, it replied: version 9.3.1........what? How?

By now now I am terrible confused.

Keep in mind that FreeBSD has a "base system" which includes BIND.  It is
likely that your search path has "/usr/sbin" listed prior to "/usr/local/sbin" ... this is the default. Here is proof from my machine, your is probably similar:

[1009] Wed 01.Feb.2006 13:38:41
[kadmin@archangel][~]
# echo $PATH
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

So, when you issue `named -v`, you are really saying `/usr/sbin/named -v`, and the "base system" named is answering correctly. Try `/usr/local/sbin/named -v`,
and see if you get the response you expect.

What is the difference between
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/ Latest/
and
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable

I thought release was the newest version of stable, and therefore
these  two directories should point to the same info.  Or at least,
will they  merge some time in the future?

RELEASE is the last "officially RELEASED version" of -STABLE, but
-STABLE continues in development, therefore, at any given time
except the exact moment that a RELEASE is tagged, -STABLE is
newer.  -STABLE and RELEASE will never again "merge"; if you will,
RELEASE "emerged" from -STABLE as of the date of the RELEASE
and is only supported with security fixes and major bug fixes (if any)
for a specified period of time.  -STABLE will "continue on" until such
time as FreeBSD 7 becomes STABLE ...

... have I made it difficult enough yet??

As far as ports/packages go, the "STABLE" ports/packages would
be newer than those in 6.0-RELEASE, because 6.0-RELEASE was
tagged and the packages built in November.

Also, I believe I actually installed bind9-9.3.2, if so where is it? If not, how can I?

As I said above, it's under /usr/local/sbin.  You can set

      named_program = "/usr/local/sbin/named"

in /etc/rc.conf, and the system should use the port instead
of the base system named.  See /etc/defaults/rc.conf for more
info.

There must be some logical aspect of FreeBSD that I do not
understand, because installing a package or a port has never been so hard.

Well, the trick is that you installed a port which is a duplicate of
base system functionality, and haven't yet told FreeBSD that you
prefer something other than the base system's named(8).

Having to set environment variables every time I want to get
the newest  version of a program should not be the standard
way to operate, I am  sure it isn't.

You are quite right.  Keeping the ports tree (/usr/ports) up to
date using cvsup is something of a "standard way to operate".
This, in conjuction with portupgrade or portmanager, helps
keep packages/ports "current".  See handbook chapter 20
for other tips on "the Cutting Edge."

Thanks.

You're welcome.

Kevin D. Kinsey

--
Tart words make no friends; a spoonful of honey
will catch more flies than a gallon of vinegar.