Re: Can't get 1024x768 in Xfree

 * You can use the "-bpp <depth>" option when starting X to choose a depth for
 * the duration of that server run, but you cannot make the X server switch
 * between depths, on-the-fly.  The place to make the selection for Xdm (which is
 * what I use to start a server) is in X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers.  It's not
 * exactly clear to me where the choice should be specified for a startx user,
 * perhaps your $HOME/.xserverrc file?

I use

xinit -- -bpp 16

Satoshi (and I think startx sucks the same options too)