Re: [RFC] what do we do with picobsd ?

Poul-Henning Kamp ha scritto:
> In message <20060131.131654.134137067.imp@xxxxxxxxxx>, "M. Warner Losh" writes:
>> In message: <43DFC2D5.7040706@xxxxxxxxx>
>>            Sam Leffler <sam@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Since I've started working on the bring up on an ARM based board, I've
>> been wanting something that is easy to work with and that worked.  I
>> think it would help us a lot in the embedded space if we had something
>> integrated into the base OS to do this stuff.
>
> I agree.  I think we need to be much more inclusive in our concept of
> a 'release' than we are now.
>
> As I see it, PicoBSD with its "additive" approach would cover the
> low-capacity (<32 MB ?) range, NanoBSD with its "subtractive" approach
> takes over from there, FreeSBIE covers the "don't touch my disk"
> range and finally the full blown release as we know it.

Actually, FreeSBIE 2 toolkit covers both approaches. It is successfully
used in embedded enviroments. pfSense (www.pfsense.com) use it either
for creating an install livecd as well as embedded images for
soekris-like machines. It can perfectly act as NanoBSD (the only
difference is the partitioning scheme which is trivial to reproduce by
customizing FreeSBIE's image script).

Nobody of you mind importing the toolkit in the source tree? :)

--
Dario Freni (saturnero@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
FreeSBIE developer (http://www.freesbie.org)