Re: Fore PCA-200E HARP configuration problem

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, [iso-8859-1] Tim Lewis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use a FORE PCA-200E atm adapter for
> packet analysis (tcpdump, libpcap etc).
>
> My server is running FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE connected via
> a netoptics tap.  The tap attachment allows me to
> receive data only (no Tx to the tap).  The tap is
> attached between two Cisco routers.
>
> I have configured the HARP software for SIGPVC
> signalling.  Below is the output from the
> configuration.

> # atm add pvc hfa0 0 32 aal5 snap ip atm0 10.0.0.1
> atm: ATM network is inoperable

> According to the source for /sbin/atm, the error is an
> ENETDOWN from a call to ioctl.

That error value does not seem to exist in the netatm code,
so it must be the kernel stack returning that error.  It looks
like HARP has registered your protocol.

> I am not sure whether this error is from a configuration problem on my
> behalf or if it is because I have only one half of the link (Rx)
> connected.

It looks like you have everything set up right.  And SIGPVC shouldn't
know or care where the TX goes, so that should not be a factor.

Sorry that I don't have any good ideas here.  You mentioned setting
up ATM from the command line - did you "atm set netif" first?  It may
not matter in your case, but I would try this order:

  /sbin/atm set netif hfa0 atm 1
  /sbin/atm attach hfa0 sigpvc
  ifconfig atm0 10.0.0.2
  /sbin/atm add pvc hfa0 0 32 aal5 snap ip atm0 10.0.0.1

All the best,

-Richard