Re: SPP server

Dima,

Does there exist an SPP server program?

not yet.

rfcomm_sppd can act as a client, but it doesn't look like it can act
as a server.

that is correct. rfcomm_sppd(1) can only act in client mode

The documentation doesn't say what it connects to, but I presume it's
some embedded device that would normally have a serial port.

rfcomm_sppd(1) can be used with any bluetooth device that implements serial port (sp) profile. the scenario covered by sp profile deals with legacy applications using bluetooth as a cable replacement, through a virtual serial port abstraction.

I'm interested in using Bluetooth as a terminal connector. Instead of
running serial cables to all servers in a cluster, we can connect to
them over Bluetooth. It can't be used as a real console, but it can
probably be brought up early enough in the boot sequence to be usable
as a rescue mechanism. Is this already possible? If not, is there any
reason it can't work? Unless I'm missing some conceptual problem, it
doesn't seem like it would be very hard to write an rfcomm terminal
server using the SPP.

it should be trivial to extend rfcomm_sppd(1) to do what you want. right now rfcomm_sppd(1) uses pty(4) as virtual serial port abstraction. it is assumed that another application will be using /dev/ttypX (slave pty) as serial port. in theory, you could teach rfcomm_sppd(1) to run login(1) or something like that.

thanks,
max