Goals for the JDK port

There's been a lot of talk about CVS repository, make files, etc.
There's been one thing I've been curious about. What are the goals of
the port? Perhaps I hopped onto the mailing list a little bit late, but
are we simply porting it or are we going to do anything to help the
runtime performance?

I do a good chunk of Java development and the speed of the ports
convinced me to get a little Windows machine. I wished that wasn't the
case --- not because of OS loyalties but for the sole purpose that I
don't have an editor that didn't suck to work with.

I guess what I'm saying is that this FreeBSD JDK port --- Can we not
make it just another port? Can we do something to it that says, "Hey,
this isn't just a port. We did some cool stuff and it's fast. It moves.
It totally rocks. And it doesn't suck either."

Or is this way bigger than this project at this current time?

--
If God had meant you to get it right the first time, He would not have
put "alter table" into SQL.