How To invoke device_shutdown/ device_resume method for testing

Hi,
	In my driver the device_shutdown/device_resume methods need to be
tested. What should I do to get these methods invoked. Is there any utility
like camcontrol which would allow me to test these methods.
 I understand that the device suspends and resumes for power saving(correct
me if I am wrong)..but how do i get to invoke these methods for testing
purpose.
I tried using the KDE preferences to set the Energy option. There I set the
time to suspend to 5 minutes. But KDE gives an error saying "KLibrary: The
library kcm_energy does not offer an init_kcm_energy function"..

-Vani.