Re: [patch] kill process after a timeout

On 30/01/2006, at 1:15 AM, Florent Thoumie wrote:

On Sunday 29 January 2006 14:38, Sam Lawrance wrote:
http://people.freebsd.org/~lawrance/patch-rc.subr

This patch adds the ${name}_stop_timeout variable.  When set, rather
than simply wait on the PIDS after sending a -TERM signal, they will
be kill -9'ed after the specified timeout in seconds.

For example, with a tomcat script I'm working on, I set
jakarta_tomcat41_stop_timeout=10, then

# sh tomcat41.sh forcestop
Stopping jakarta_tomcat41.
Waiting (max 10 secs) for PIDS: 42864, 42864, 42864, 42864, 42864.

I need to do something like this anyway with the tomcat rc scripts, I
figure it might be a useful addition to rc.subr.

Thoughts?

Looks good to me. But I wondered if we really have cases where we don't want to wait with some timeout. I guess I would have modified wait_for_pid to take $name_stop_timeout as a new argument (defaulting to 10, for example) instead
of copying wait_for_pid to a new function.

My 0.02$ :)

We can't add a new optional argument without changing all the calls to it anyway, because it takes a variable of PIDs as arguments:

wait_for_pids pid [pid ...]

I thought it was better to create a new function, just in case there are other scripts and ports that use wait_for_pids.