Re: fxp0 device - Intel NIC

Karo Salminen(karo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)@2002.12.20 17:20:01 +0000:
> On 20 Dec 2002 10:10:38 +0000
> redjupiter <redjupiter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I have just got this from someone an intel Business card (InBusiness)
> > and I think it is 82555/82559 chipset, I am not sure. anyway, I have
> > installed it and attempted to connect it to my cable modem and have it
> > confgured via dhcp but it does not do it. Statically it works just fine
> > but not through dhcp and yet my RealTek works via dhcpd (so nothing
> > wrong with my ISP). Dmesg says it is Intel Pro/100 (i8255 10/100)
>
> Same appeared here with 4.7-RELEASE-p2. dhclient just does not work with fxp
> for some reason.
> --
> E-mail: karo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> GSM: +358 45 6728280

Um, all of my computers at home and in the office running FreeBSD-STABLE
work great with fxp nics.

I think there was a bug in the fxp code around 4.7-RELEASE... but that was
fixed and been working without a hitch since.

I did send a reply to the original poster about adding an
/etc/start_if.fxp0 file so he can change the MAC address on the nic to be
that of the realtek he wants to replace.  The cable modems work with a
learned MAC address and if he changes the nic, the MAC address will change
unless he manually intervenes.
--
Scott Nolde
GPG Key 0xD869AB48