Re: vi, ksh93, XFree86 and FreeBSD-stable 4.7#1

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 19:18, redjupiter wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 02:45, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 17:56, redjupiter wrote:
> >
> > > The version of ksh93 I get from the port is 2002-09-22.
> >
> > When I type C-V at a shell prompt, I get:
> >
> > Version M 1993-12-28 n-
> >
> > or you can type:
> >
> > echo ${.sh.version}
> >
> > The out of resources message is usually a file limit or possibly some
> > other soft resource limit.  Please paste in the output of the limits
> > command from both your console login and from a terminal window within
> > X.  Also, the output of the ksh ulimit -a command might be useful.
> >
> > /Joe
> >

> OK, here are the results. If you need something more sophisticated
> you'll have to spell out for me - as I have jsut started learning :-)
>
> Version M 1993-12-28 n

I cannot recall offhand what the change was between n and n-, so I don't
recall if it is important.

Here is how I build and install ksh93:

portupgrade -m '-DWANT_STATIC PREFIX=/usr' ksh93
cp /usr/bin/ksh93 /bin

If you do not have portupgrade, you really should install it.  The
equivalent make command is

cd /usr/ports/shells/ksh93
make clean
make -DWANT_STATIC PREFIX=/usr install

If you intend to make ksh93 your system shell, it is important to use
the static libraries.  I just do it on general principles.

There have been several bugs fixed in the last couple of months in the
ksh sources, although I don't recall seeing anything about resource
exhaustion on the ast mailing list.  There will be a new version out in
a week or so, at least according to Glenn Fowler and David Korn.

Usually, resource exhaustion is related to some random piece of
misconfigured software.  What is the process list just before you try to
run vi?  Are there any left0over X proceses that might have tied up some
resource?  How do you exit from X?

It is probably worth your while to go through the effort of installing
gdm so that you have a stable way to keep X running without switching in
and out from the console.  At least, I find it easier.  YMMV.

/Joe